Friday, January 29, 2010

Decision

I had my two oncology appointments on Wednesday. My first appointment was at Beth Israel Hospital. The doctor was nice. He suggested tamoxifen for five years and an ovarian suppressor for two years. He did not suggest chemo for me and said that I would have to look hard to find another doctor in NYC that would. He said that with the biology of my tumor, that ovarian suppression would take care of any roaming cells. He wasn't concerned that I am 39, the size of the tumor or that I had isolated tumor cells in one lymph node. We all left the appointment feeling pretty good thinking I would not need chemo.

We went to see the second oncologist at NYU. She was very nice as well. She also gave me the same treatment option as the other oncologist of tamoxifen and an ovarian suppression. She also gave me another option as well of chemo and tamoxifen. She said I am in a very grey area with my cancer and there is no absolute answer for my treatment, even with an onco score of 12. She recommended chemo with me because I am so young, I had a large 3.5cm tumor and isolated tumor cells in a lymph node. It was interesting to see the different reasoning with the same characteristics of the cancer. I also didn't have to go far to find a doctor to want to give me chemo.

We decided on the chemo option. We want to be aggressive. If I was 60, the decision would definitely be different, but I am young.

I am going to the plastic surgeon on Monday to discuss with him how much longer I need the wound vac on for, when i can get closed up and when I can start chemo. I am now 5 1/2 weeks post-op and the oncologist wants to start chemo by week 8. She said by 12 weeks, chemo wouldn't be recommended because it is too many weeks post-op and wouldn't be of any help. I am also going to have the plastic surgeon and oncologist discuss the best time for me to start the chemo.

2 comments:

  1. Truth be told Gail, even if you were at 60, you would still have a solid 30 years to go. Sounds like you're on the right path and looking at all options is the wise thing to do. Find a chemo site with comfy chairs and wireless :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you are making the prudent decision Gail - it is a hard one. But even when Patrick's mom had the cancer, even though she was 66 she was healthy and independent, and the idea is not to let that cancer come back. Not welcome. You are brave and you've made an informed choice. We are here to help you get through this. Ma's chemo didn't make her sick - lets hope for the best. Let me know when I can come visit. Love, Jeanna

    ReplyDelete