Thursday, January 21, 2010

Appointment with the Plastic Surgeon

My appointment went well with the plastic surgeon. He decided to hook me up to the wound vac to help speed healing. He did give me a choice not to have it, but now the belly wound is covered and the visiting nurse only has to come 3 times a week instead of every day with the open wound. If I didn't get the wound vac, he still wasn't sewing me up today. He wants to keep the device on me for a few weeks and then sew me up in the operating room. It is hurting my stomach a little bit, but the doctor said it should stop hurting by tomorrow.

How long he keeps me hooked up depends on what happens at the oncologist appointments next week. He will tailor my treatment depending on what and when the oncologist wants to do. If I do need chemo, they won't do it with an open belly wound. So if either oncologist wants to start soon, I won't have to wait and he will sew me up sooner if needed.

Again he was happy with how my new breast is healing. He is taking off most of my restrictions. He advised that my belly will tell me when I am doing something I shouldn't. I am glad I can start driving again.

The wound vac is an interesting device. A piece of foam is placed into the incision/wound, a large piece of tape covers that with the tubing coming out of the tape. It is hooked up to the machine which is the size of a hardcover book and weighs a few pounds. I can clamp it off myself so I can shower. It does make some noise, not too loud though, but it sounds like it is farting. I can hear Sean saying "Mommy you farted". At least it won't scare him, but make him laugh.

Now we wait until Wednesday for the oncology appointments.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds pretty good really. At least it is in the healing stage now and not getting worse anymore. Hopefully you will start speeding up on that healing now too. And hopefully won't need chemo so it won't matter :)

    ReplyDelete