Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Big Couple of Days

So where to start? This past weekend I did a lot. Saturday, I was able to do our errands with Rob and Sean. We went to Macy's, Target and Babies r us. I drove home from Macy's with Rob in the car for the first time. Then in the afternoon, I felt comfortable enough to drive myself to a much needed pedicure. It was nice to get out by myself. On Sunday, we visited Rob's mom, who I haven't seen since before the surgery. Rob had been to see her every weekend as usual.

Yesterday, I went into Manhattan by express bus by myself. I decided to walk from 3rd and 34th to 1st and 32nd to NYU hospital. It was far and tiring, but I did it. I had an appointment with my plastic surgeon since we had decided on doing the chemo. I needed to discuss with him our game plan. Since my oncologist wanted to try to start chemo by 8 weeks post-op, my plastic surgeon is going to get the ball rolling to maybe get me into surgery to close my belly next week. I am currently 6 weeks post-op today. He likes how the wound vac is helping my belly heal. He cleaned up my belly again. He said there is enough skin for closure, but his ideal situation is to let it heal naturally, but he doesn't want to interfere with starting chemo. The surgery would be out patient surgery and he said he would stitches that he would have to remove in 10 days. These stitches can keep the wound open slightly to help heal properly. The whole problem is having an open wound and doing chemo. Your body does not heal easily when doing chemo. My plastic surgeon is going to coordinate dates with my oncologist. He is still happy with how my breast is healing and the rest of the reconstruction will be done after my chemo is finished.

We then went to the NYU cancer center to visit one of Rob's friends that was getting chemo. She is getting the chemo treatment that I would be getting. I toured the center and it seems nice. You have a. choice of bed or recliner chair. Each area has a TV, phone and wireless access. She explained to me the entire procedure that she is doing. It takes about 5 hours total and I would have to go back the next day for a blood booster shot called neulesta. It was helpful talking to her and seeing the center.

We then went down one flight to let the oncologist know our plans. She gave me a few prescriptions that I would need and said that we will start either the week of February 15th or 22nd.

No comments:

Post a Comment