Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Follow the Chemo Road

Overall it was a good day, even for having chemo.  We dropped Sean off at daycare and drove into the city.  We got there at 8:45am.  I got my blood drawn, then it was upstairs for my appointment with the oncologist. The nurse practitioner gave me the run though of the day and possible side effects after.  The oncologist examined me and it was off to chemo.  They have 2 choices of rooms. You can either have a dentist like chair or a hospital bed.  I chose the hospital bed because the room had a door instead of a curtain.  Also I think it was more comfortable with my belly still stitched.  My mom and Rob came with me.  It was nice to have the company. They also have TV's in the room.  The nurses were extremely nice and helpful. 

My biggest fear of the day was get my IV in since I have such horrible veins and they can't use my good arm now because it is on the side of the mastectomy.  The nurse looked at my veins and decided that she needed to get someone else to do it.  I really appreciated that she didn't think she could get one on the first try, so she got someone else.  The other nurse got it on the first try.  Hooray.  They first give you another rundown of the day and side effects after.  They emphasize that I am not get to the point of throwing up and if I am nauseous, take my meds.  They do not want me throwing up at all.  The IV lasts about 3 hours.  I first get saline, steroids and benedryl to help with any allergic reactions.  I was given Cytoxan first and Taxotere second.  Overall, it was not bad at all.  I even got a foot massage by the roaming massage therapist.  We are able to order in lunch, so Rob didn't even have to leave to get us anything.  One of my friends was on her last treatment today, so we got to see her and she brought a chocolate cake to celebrate. Yummy. We are out by 2:30pm. 

Here are some pics from the treatment:
 
 Me and Seymour, my chemo pump

Me and Rob

After we left the Cancer Center, I had an appointment with the plastic surgeon.  He is very happy with my belly.  I did have 2 pinhole size opening on one side, so he took out 2 stitches, opened the area a bit and I have to put in this aquaseal stuff in everyday into the opening.  Icky, but not too bad.  I go back on Monday to hopefully get the other stitches out.  He is liking how the rest is healing.  We will see.  Hopefully, the chemo won't interfere too much with the healing.

I slept very well last night considering I only got 3 hours of sleep the night before.  I woke up this morning feeling good, until I took the steriods.  Headache and feeling hot and yucky.  But it is the only one I have to take today until my next treatment.  My belly has been ok as long as I keep eating and drinking.  Not too bad overall.  They advised me to eats lots and lots of protein.  It helps with the healing process.  The nurse advised that it is very unlikely I will lose weight, but actually gain.   Oh well, not the time to diet.

I went into the city at 12:30 to get my Neulasta shot at 2.  It is a blood booster.  The nurse showed me how to give it to myself in the thigh and the possible side effects of back pain and/or bone pain from the bone marrow growing.  Next time, I can do it at home on my own.  It is worth the $35 co-pay to do it at home.  I was back on a bus home at 2:30.  Very wet day to have to go into the city.

I think I am going to have something to drink and some green tea ice-cream and rest until the boys get home.

Thanks again for all the good thoughts and wishes yesterday.  It was nice to see all the posts on Facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment