Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Done with Chemo...On to the Next Chapter

I had my last chemo treatment on Monday.  I am very glad to be over with this chapter of the treatment.  I still have a long recovery, but things will be different now.  My oncologist said that I will be feeling about 60% better in 6-8 weeks and the rest could take 6 months to a year.  I go back and see her in a month to start the tamoxifen for 5 years.  This will keep my risk of recurrence of the breast cancer down.

I got into the room and had a different nurse, but I had a bed room which I liked better.  She was able to get the IV in on the first try.  I was very happy about that.  She wasn't a very friendly one, but I didn't care as it was my last time.  I got my foot massage and relaxed.  Rob & Debbie came by for lunch to see me and Mom.  Debbie told me to ring the bell when I was done with my treatment and I made sure to do so, along with saying a poem.  I got some hugs from the nurses and it was nice to say that I hope never to see them again.




The poem reads: Ring this bell, three times well.  It's toll will clearly say, My treatments done, This course has run and Now I'm on my way!


Everyone kept asking me what I was going to do to celebrate.  I honestly wasn't even thinking about it.  I just was happy to be done.  My Mom said she will bring me some nice chocolate pastries from the french bakery today.  I think a nice celebration will be done when I can actually taste my food again.

After we left chemo, I went to the plastic surgeon.  My belly was cleaned and we quickly discussed my continuing surgeries.  He would like me to get to a weight that I am happy with before he does any major part of surgery, but I can have some quick fixes if needed.  We will discuss more in a few weeks.

I am still continuing with this blog, since I am not done with everything yet, but I want to thank everyone for their support so far.  It has been really great to know that I have so many people that care about me.  I have a few goals to get to...can't wait to get my taste buds back, the hair I am not so concerned about, my new normal in life would be nice, my strength back and my 40th birthday in October. 

By the way, yesterday, I got out of the house and walked all the way to shopping center for the first time by myself.  It was nice to be able to do.  Sean will be happy when I can finally run after him and go down the slide in the playground.  I will be too.

No comments:

Post a Comment