Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Almost Done

It's been a rough week and a half since the last chemo.  I am having problems dealing with it this time.  It started on chemo day.  My regular nurse practitioner was not available and they gave me someone new.  Then when I got into chemo and my regular chemo nurse was not available and I was not happy with the nurse I was given.  First, they didn't have a bed-type room with a window, only a closed one and I get very claustrophobic.  My regular nurse holds one for me even though they are not suppose to.  Since I got there so late from the first appointment, nothing was available with a window, so I opted for a chair with a window.  The chairs are very uncomfortable when you still have a hole in your stomach and a bad back.  The chairs are only closed by a curtain and it was very noisy.  The lady across from me had very loud visitors.  It was hard to relax.  I know this might seem petty, but when you expect certain things and it is already a difficult time, it doesn't help.

So finally, I get into the chair and the nurse tries to put the iv in and misses.  I go ouch and he says did that hurt?  HUH????  I said please get someone else.  You only get one chance.  I have bad veins.  I guess I insulted him.  He got someone else and they got it in after running my arm under hot water.  The rest of the treatment was ok.

After my treatment, I went to the plastic surgeon to see the nurse practitioner again as usual.  Rob picked me and mom up and we went home.

Overall, the side effects weren't strong, but I lost my taste buds longer this time.  I am still having problems tasting after a week and a half. I am tired with stomach upset, but overall not too bad.  Having Sean around helps since he gets me out of the house in the evening to play with him.  He still likes kissing my head saying it is scratchy.

Monday, I ran into the plastic surgeon before my appointment with the nurse practitioner. He is happy with what he has heard from her.  He would like my belly to heal on it's own.  I am ok with that.  I have about a 2 inch hole on the left.  The rest of the incision is closed and looks like I was opened with a rusty can opener.  I was thinking today that I probably wouldn't able to go swimming this summer with it open.

Almost done...

No comments:

Post a Comment